Organization: Palladium International
Closing date: 10 Dec 2018
NU-TEC MD is a five year DFID funded programme that aims to increase the incomes and climate resilience of poor-men and women in northern Uganda (NU) by (a) stimulating sustainable, pro-poor growth in selected agricultural markets and (b) improving the position of poor men and women within these market systems, to make them more inclusive for poor people. Palladium manages the programme on behalf of DFID.
The position designs and manages the NU-TEC Programme Interventions in specific market sectors in accordance with the overall programme strategy.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Intervention Manager will lead and manage 2-3 programme interventions. This will involve the design, strategy, planning, communicating, monitoring and reporting on all assigned interventions. S/he will develop and maintain close relationships with businesses while overseeing and coordinating the implementation of project interventions.
Though based in Gulu, this position will require frequent travel to other parts of Northern Uganda.
The NU-TEC staff work as an integrated team. The Intervention Manager will be expected to contribute to other aspects of the programme in collaboration with other Intervention Managers or Market Managers.
* Conduct research into relevant market systems and trends to identify opportunities for interventions
* Assist in stakeholder analysis of selected commodity chains and identify and establish contact with potential firms or other market actors
* Liaise with the Results Measurement (RM) team on the development of appropriately tailored research tools and methods for the collection and collation of relevant intervention information from the field
* Assist to update and supervise RM aspects of the intervention activities, including establishing baselines, indicators, and results.
* Assist in collecting baseline data related to interventions targeted for study or implementation by the project.
* Formulate strategies to develop markets in the selected commodity chains and seek opportunities to work as per the NU-TEC MD sector strategy. Develop intervention strategies and implementation procedures in a participatory manner with key stakeholders.
* Ensure the appropriate communication of clear intervention guidelines, expected outcomes, timeframe and workplan to all relevant parties.
* Assist the Market Managers in the development of relevant grant agreements, MoUs, ToRs and any other administrative requirement for the interventions.
* Conduct regular field visits to ensure proper implementation of activities.
* Remain well aware of developments in the relevant sectors/markets/commodity chains
* Work with the RM to design appropriate tools for monitoring the progress of interventions within the various market sectors. Also liaise with the RM on the conduct of impact assessments for ongoing programme interventions
* Refine and adapt the intervention strategies in light of participant and stakeholder requests and changing needs and opportunities, within the overall program of NU-TEC.
* Help identify market failures and pressure points for addressing these; help identify ways to render a given market more functional and efficient, in a manner that will benefit the programme targets.
* Refine and adapt the selected intervention strategies in light of participant and stakeholder requests and changing needs, within the overall program.
* Identify priority areas for interventions that will change as opportunities pass or are realized and new ones emerge.
* Represent the programme in selected markets, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with partners, other members of the programme, and with public.
* Understand how the political economy impacts rural markets, and how changes in the functioning of markets may impact the political economy.
* Maintain contacts with key stakeholders to increase synergies.
* Take part in facilitating and managing the work of partners/co-facilitators/service providers of programme and ensure “value for money” for the tasks given.
* Supervise/facilitate the identification and development of networks among key stakeholders, identifying common interests between the networks and NU-TEC.
* Assist in establishing contacts with national and regional institutions, stakeholders and participants that would contribute to the successful implementation of market activities.
* A Masters degree in Business, Economics or Agriculture, Development Studies or other related field with 3 years relevant experience or BS degree in Business, Economics or Agriculture, Development Studies or other related field with at least 5 years relevant experience.
* The position requires a candidate with excellent communication skills, a relationship builder, Innovator, a coach and a political economist.
* Ability to speak Luo, Lugbara or any other language from West Nile.
* Applicants from Uganda are strongly preferred.
How to apply: