Organization: International Organization for Migration
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 24 Jan 2019
Position Title : Compound Manager
Duty Station : Makere, Tanzania
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 24 January 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic
Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini,
Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
The Republic of Tanzania is an IOM member state since 1994. IOM has established its country office in Dar es Salaam in 2004 and established sub and satellite offices in Kigoma region as well as the African Capacity Building Centre (ACBC) in Moshi.
Under the operations of United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), IOM has established a one-stop Refugee Processing Centre in Makere, Kasulu district in Kigoma region. This facility (thereafter IOM Makere Refugee Processing Centre or IOM Makere RPC) is composed of interview office spaces, health assessment clinic, IOM office spaces as well as accommodation buildings.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office in Kasulu and the Resource Management Officer based in Dar es Salaam for technical issues, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the facilities at the IOM Makere Refugees Processing Center (RPC) to provide smooth support to the operations of the resettlement projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Manage the facilities at the IOM Makere RPC including the guest house (accommodation facility) established on self-sustain/cost recovery basis, while monitoring the revenue/income flow.
Supervise the Compound Assistant in accommodation reservations, including record of check in and check out, provision of guest house orientation to the guests and timely inform the Support Unit for smooth invoice issue to the guests.
Supervise the Facility Maintenance Clerk to monitor the generators and other utilities at the
IOM Makere RPC.
Ensure safety at the IOM Makere RPC by conducting, but not limited to, regular facility checks, such as regular water quality test of the water sources, water purifying system, generators, and fire extinguishers.
In coordination with the Construction engineer, conduct regular facility checks and report any necessary improvement and/or repair.
Coordinating the hiring and supervising of personnel for maintenance purposes – including housekeepers, electricians, plumbers, daily labourer’s etc.
Monitor the canteen service provider at the canteen. Conduct periodic canteen asset check with the service provider, IOM Procurement Unit and the Compound Assistant.
Monitor the canteen service provider for timely meal services at the canteen.
In coordination with the Operations Unit, monitor the canteen service provider for timely meal services for refugees.
Monitor the cleaning service provider at the IOM Makere RPC. Ensure that all facilities are kept clean at all times.
In coordination with the Operations Unit, ensure that refugees at the IOM Makere RPC
receive proper facility orientation.
Supervise the Compound Assistant to manage all facility keys and ensure that necessary facility materials are properly managed, and stocks are monitored. Ensure the timely material request to the Procurement Unit so that the facility is always equipped with necessary facility materials.
Be alert to the local security situation and report any security incidents or situation to the
Security Officer in Kasulu.
- Perform such other duties may be required or assigned by either direct or overall supervisors.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Hospitality Management, Hotel Administration, Business Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing hotels and guest houses is strongly preferred;
• Experience and knowledge in facility management is strongly preferred;
• Experience in managing IOM transit centres is an added advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Kiswahili, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 24 January 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 11.01.2019 to 24.01.2019
Requisition: VN 2019/10 (P) – Compound Manager (P2) – Makere, Tanzania (55783830) Released
Posting: Posting NC55783831 (55783831) Released